2 bugs and a little lady

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A trip to the fire station

The boys are fascinated by anything on wheels: trash trucks, dump trucks, cement mixers, bulldozers etc.  Fire engines, however, are in a special class of their own! Fire trucks travel down our street on a daily basis and when the boys hear them, they race to the window as fast as they can trying not to miss them. They love seeing them on walks through our neighborhood and jump up and down with excitement and wave at the firefighters, who always wave and honk back if they are not on a call. So, I'm sure you can only imagine their level of excitement when we told them that we were going to the fire station for a school field trip! 

This momma, however, knew it would be a bit emotional. Until recently, I did not associate fire trucks with anything positive.  Following Karissa's death, whenever I would see a fire truck racing down our street, I would burst into tears. It brought back (and still does) many unpleasant memories such as the night that we called 911 when Karissa was 3 weeks old or even worse, the morning we called 911 when we discovered Karissa had passed away. I think every fire truck in the city of Redlands was parked outside our house on both of those occasions. Ugh... 

Just as I wrote about in my very first post on this blog, grieving the loss of Karissa is a process and something as simple as a trip to the fire station is just another step in my healing process. It may seem silly but it's so true. I love my little boys so much and seeing their joy and excitement is beyond priceless. I never in a million years thought they would help me in grieving the loss of their big sister up in heaven.


~Patiently waiting their turn for a tour of the fire station~




















No comments:

Post a Comment